Archive for Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rooftop fire extinguished at SMNW

June 10, 2008

Two Shawnee fire crews responded about 7 p.m. Thursday after smoke was spotted coming from the roof of the Shawnee Mission Northwest High School gymnasium.

Fire marshal John Mattox said a fire started in a debris pile after construction crews had been demolishing old air-handling units in a mechanical room on the roof. The fire likely was caused by a piece of hot metal coming in contact with thermal pipe insulation and debris placed next to the mechanical room.

Leigh Anne Neal, spokesperson for Shawnee Mission USD 512, said damage was limited to the roof area outside of the mechanical room.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.