Safety tips offered for walking, cycling on detour routes
Sgt. Jim Baker, head of the Shawnee Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit, offers a few safety tips for pedestrians and cyclists in the area of the Kansas Highway 7 and Johnson Drive detours.
• Jog or walk on sidewalks where provided, rather than in the roadway. This is required by law.
• Don’t assume motorists see you or will yield the right of way to you.
• Make eye contact with motorists before crossing a lane of traffic. Make sure they see you.
• Wear brightly colored and reflective clothing.
• Always wear a bike helmet.
• Stop at all intersections and walk your bike across busy intersections and streets.
• Obey traffic signs, signals and pavement markings.
• Stop and look both ways before entering traffic.
• Ride with traffic.
• Before turning, use hand signals and look in all directions.
• Wear brightly colored and reflective clothing as well as equip your bicycle with reflectors.
• Avoid riding at night.