Archive for Friday, November 6, 2015

Fire sparked by extension cord damages Shawnee home

November 6, 2015

Shawnee Fire Investigators say an extension cord started a house fire Thursday evening.

Firefighters were called to 11204 West 70th Terrace just before 7 p.m. on a reported house fire.

Arriving firefighters reported smoke visible outside of the home and a fire inside.

In a news release, Fire Marshal Corey Sands says "a 64-year-old female managed to escape but a cat and dog perished in the fire."

Damage to the home is estimated at approximately $70,000.

Investigators found the smoke alarm had an old battery and did not alert the woman to the fire.

"Working smoke alarms save lives and gives a family the early warning to escape a fire," Fire Marshal Sands says. "The Shawnee Fire Department also wants to remind the community that extension cords should only be used for temporary purposes and they are not meant to be used for permanent wiring."

The Shawnee Fire Department will provide and install free smoke alarms for any Shawnee resident that needs them. Contact the fire department at 913-631-1080 for additional information.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.