Driver in hit-and-run involving bicyclist on Shawnee Mission Parkway located
Shawnee police have located and identified the driver of a truck involved in a Wednesday morning hit-and-run that sent a bicyclist on Shawnee Mission Parkway to the hospital.
Shawnee Police were looking for a white truck involved in the hit-and-run 62-year-old bicyclist Steve McCrary on Shawnee Mission Parkway near Vista Drive and were able to locate it following resident's call to the tip hotline.
"We have identified the vehicle involved and identified the suspected driver," said Major Dan Tennis. "We are currently working with the Johnson County Sheriff's Office Crime Scene Unit and Crime Lab to process the suspect's vehicle."
Tennis said Shawnee police will finalize the crash investigation by retrieving crash data and analyzing speed and other factors before forwarding the case, along with any potential charges, to the District Attorney's Office.
Tennis said McCrary was riding with traffic on the north shoulder of westbound Shawnee Mission Parkway between Midland Drive and Woodland Drive when he was hit at about 5:22 a.m. Police said McCrary was conscious when he was transported to the hospital.
McCrary remained hospitalized at Overland Park Regional Medical Center Wednesday evening in critical condition, according to the hospital.
More like this story
- Kansas City man charged in hit-and-run that injured Shawnee bicyclist
- Bicycling in Shawnee: Dangers still present despite being a bike-friendly community
- Fundraiser set for bicyclist hit on Shawnee Mission Parkway
- Two crashes near Shawnee Mission Parkway and Pflumm Road Tuesday
- Olathe woman arrested after causing two crashes on Shawnee Mission Parkway