Archive for Thursday, February 11, 2016

Lady Thunder run away from Metro with big third quarter

St. James sophomore Mary Goetz and senior Ali Burke share a laugh during the middle of the Lady Thunder's 24-1 run against Metro on Wednesday.

St. James sophomore Mary Goetz and senior Ali Burke share a laugh during the middle of the Lady Thunder's 24-1 run against Metro on Wednesday.

February 11, 2016

Mary Goetz made one field goal on Wednesday night and it was the start of a 24-1 run for St. James that spanned 7 minutes, 21 seconds over the final two quarters.

After making her first free throw Kayla Staley had the chance to cut the deficit to one, but she missed the second and the ball made it’s way into Goetz’s hands, who layed the ball in.

On the following possession, after Metro’s Carrington Ream missed a three pointer, Goetz started the fast break. She dribbled down the middle of the court and found Colleen Pikus, who easily laid the ball in for two of her eight points.

The Lady Thunder would never look back in their 47-34 victory.

“Since my shot wasn’t on this game, it was really important to get a lot of assists and let my teammates do all the shooting,” Goetz said.

When Goetz was asked about when she knew it wasn’t her not shooting, she started laughing and said, “after about the first five missed shots.”

“We’ve been trying to adjust my shot for the past two weeks and it’s not working in the game because I haven’t had enough time to develop it yet,” Goetz said. “Once that happens, we’ll be good.”

Goetz affected the game with her ball handling alongside Ali Burke.

The two were able to handle the Mavericks’ pressure, find gaps in the lane, and were able to find Staley and Allie Webb down low.

Coach Greg Hohinsinner said hitting some shots keyed the big run.

“She kept on shooting, which we told her to continue to do,” Hohinsinner said. “Shooting is confidence. If you get on a roll like that, you have to keep on shooting. We got the lead we had because of the team shooting the way we did.”

Burke hit back-to-back threes during the 24-1 run, which included a 14-0 run to end the final 3 minutes, 35 seconds of the third quarter.

She, along with Staley, led the Lady Thunder with 14 points.

“The third time down they backed off me, so I decided to give it a try since the other two had fallen,” Burke said of her heat check, which hit off the back of the rim.

When the St. James faced Metro on Jan. 20 in the opening round of the KA-MO Classic at Blue Valley North, the Lady Thunder turned the ball over 21 times, including eight on 11 possessions at the end of the fourth quarter and overtime.

On Wednesday, St. James turned the ball over only 10 times with four coming in the final four minutes. They only scored four points in the final 4 minutes, 14 seconds of the game, but had built a 20-point lead.

Coach Greg Hohinsinner wasn’t too pleased with the last half of the fourth quarter despite liking how they played for the first 28 minutes.

“We talked about it (in the locker room after the game),” Hohinsinner said. “We can’t commit those turnovers down the stretch. Against good teams, that doesn’t work. Metro beat us in overtime. We had a right to be happy. We we’re playing pretty well at that particular time, but we have to take care of the basketball and do the little things right.”

St. James and Metro will meet for the rubber match on Feb. 22, at St. James.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.