Shawnee Dispatch

Two people arrested following 25-mile pursuit

January 25, 2016, 2:06 a.m. Updated: 25 January 2016, 3:43 a.m.

Two people were arrested Monday morning after police say they rammed a Shawnee police vehicle and led police on a 25-mile pursuit into Kansas City, Missouri.

Shawnee Police say the pursuit began at about 1 a.m. when police attempted a traffic stop on a vehicle near 57th Street and Silverheel Road. Maj. Dan Tennis said the suspect vehicle, a silver Ford Focus, fled and was not pursued initially. Then, several minutes later at 43rd Street and Frisbie Road in northwestern Shawnee, the another officer spotted the vehicle and activate their emergency lights. Tennis said the suspect vehicle then "rammed" the front of the police unit.

"This changed the case from a traffic violation to a felony assault on a police officer," Tennis said.

The officer could be heard telling his dispatcher that he was not injured and would be in pursuit of the vehicle. The fleeing driver took off north on Kansas Highway 7 into Wyandotte County with speeds reaching 105 miles-per-hour, according to radio traffic.

A lone Shawnee officer pursued the car onto eastbound Interstate 70. Police attempted to hit the vehicle with stop sticks at least twice on I-70.

A Kansas Turnpike Authority Trooper was the first to catch up with, and join, the Shawnee officer's pursuit on eastbound I-70 near Interstate 635 at 1:15 a.m. After several hits with stop sticks, the suspect's car began to lose tires and started throwing sparks.

Radio traffic from pursuing officers stated that the suspect vehicle exited the Interstate to Front Street. The suspect then drove into the parking lot of the Isle of Capri Casino, 1800 Front Street, where the car came to a stop near the Valet Parking drop-off. The man driving and his female passenger were both taken into custody with the help of Kansas City, Mo., police, according to radio traffic.

Tennis said three Shawnee police vehicles were damaged during the pursuit. The police vehicle that was hit on the front "push bumper" by the suspect vehicle remained operational during the pursuit. Two others were damaged by spike strips during the chase and had flat tires, which Tennis said were replaced on scene and did not cause significant damage. No officers were injured during the chase.

Following the pursuit, Operation 100 News was able to independently confirm that the silver Ford Focus had been reported stolen from an address in Mission, Kansas.

Check back with this report for updates as more information becomes available.

Operation 100 News provides overnight news coverage for the Shawnee Dispatch. Follow on Twitter for real-time updates.

Originally published at: