Lightning sparks western Shawnee house fire
Fire investigators say a lightning strike caused a Sunday morning house fire near 64th Street and Warwick Street.
Firefighters from Shawnee and Lenexa were called to the nearly 3,200 square foot home just before 7:40 a.m., after smoke alarms alerted residents.
Shawnee Fire Marshal Corey Sands says the resident reported they believed the home had been struck by lightning. Sands says the lightning strike energized the corrugated stainless steel gas line inside the home.
"This caused the cast gas line to arc off of a nail and caused the fire," Sands said.
Damage is estimated at $80,000.
More like this story
- Two alarm fire destroys western Shawnee home
- Faulty wiring cited as cause of Saturday evening house fire
- Investigation continues after explosion and fire at KC Ice Center
- 20 apartments damaged by early morning fire, displacing 14 adults and 6 children
- Death of 3-year-old boy and his great-uncle in fire devastates Shawnee family