Boys hoops roundup: Scoring records fall in Maranatha’s win over Van Horn; St. James ousts Tolton
Monday marked another record-breaking night for Maranatha Christian Academy's boys basketball team after the Eagles' 94-75 win over Van Horn.
The Eagles (16-2, No. 5 in Class 2A) broke the school's single-season scoring record, and also broke MCA's single-game scoring record for the second time this season. Maranatha previously set the single-game scoring record on Jan. 9 in an 89-21 win over Oskaloosa.
Jonathan Jackson paced the Eagles with 31 points and 10 rebounds against the Falcons (8-14). Jackson knocked down 6 of his 9 shots from behind the arc. Brock West also lit it up from 3-point range — making 4 of 6 from deep — and finished with 26 points. Jax Holland joined Jackson and West in double figures with 17 points, and Nate Raydo dished out 10 assists.
Maranatha pushed its winning streak to 13 games. The Eagles will play again at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Kansas City Christian (8-10).
St. James 67, Father Tolton Catholic 45
St. James Academy snapped a three-game losing streak with a 67-45 victory over Father Tolton Catholic on Saturday.
The 67 points for the Thunder was the most they've scored in a game since their 69-51 win over Wyandotte to open the season. The Thunder improved to 5-13, while Tolton fell to 11-13.
St. James will return to Eastern Kansas League play at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday for a home tilt against Blue Valley (8-10).
More like this story
- Boys hoops roundup: MV, DHS advance to sub-state title games; MCA ousts Oswego to begin postseason
- Boys basketball roundup: St. James cruises past Father Tolton Catholic
- Boys hoops roundup: MCA's winning streak moves to 11 after rout of Heritage; DHS powers past Eudora
- Boys basketball roundup: Maranatha sets school single-game scoring record, ousts Oskaloosa
- Boys hoops roundup: MV, DHS, SMNW, MCA earn victories