Shawnee Dispatch

Faulty wiring cited as cause of Saturday evening house fire

Firefighters from Shawnee and Lenexa responded on a house fire at 7012 Widmer Street shortly before 5 p.m. on Saturday. Enlarge photo

January 13, 2018

Firefighters battled the fire while temperatures were in the low 20's.

Firefighters battled the fire while temperatures were in the low 20's.

Fire damage can be seen on the north side of the house, where the flames cut through the siding.

Fire damage can be seen on the north side of the house, where the flames cut through the siding.

Faulty wiring is believed to have caused a Saturday evening house fire in Shawnee.

Neighbors called 911 to report a fire at 7012 Widmer Street shortly before 5 p.m.

Shawnee Fire Marshal Corey Sands said firefighters arrived to find fire coming from the roof of the two-story house

Sands said firefighters located a dog inside and carried it outside where they performed CPR. Firefighters were not able to revive the dog.

No one else was at home when the fire started.

"One firefighter was treated and released for a medical issue," Sands said.

Damage to the home is estimated at $125,000.

The Lenexa Fire Department also responded to assist with the fire.


Operation 100 News provides overnight news coverage for the Shawnee Dispatch. Follow on Twitter for real-time updates.

Originally published at: http://www.shawneedispatch.com/news/2018/jan/13/home-heavily-damaged-dog-dead-after-saturday-eveni/