Girls basketball roundup: SMNW rallies past Washburn Rural; SJA falls to BV North
Shawnee Mission Northwest's girls basketball team's three-game winning streak appeared to be in jeopardy on Tuesday against Washburn Rural until the Cougars rallied for a big fourth-quarter comeback to defeat the Junior Blues, 55-52.
The Cougars (6-3, No. 7 in Class 6A) trailed the Junior Blues (6-2, No. 4 in 6A), 43-30, after three quarters.
Junior Hannah Black drained four 3-pointers and led a trio of Cougars in double figures with 18 points. Senior Jordann Nachbar and junior D'Asya Collier-Williams added 13 and 11 points, respectively.
Washburn Rural junior Carly Bachelor led all scorers with 21 points.
The Cougars will try to push their winning streak to five games when they travel to Olathe South (7-2, No. 10 in 6A) at 5:30 p.m. Friday.
Blue Valley North 59, St. James 29
St. James Academy senior Mary Goetz scored 14 points, but it wasn't enough to power the Thunder past Blue Valley North in the first round of the KAMO Classic at BV North.
The Thunder fell to 2-7 on the season, while the Mustangs moved to 9-2.
St. James will play in the consolation semifinals at 4:30 p.m. Thursday against the loser of today's matchup between Sumner and Notre Dame de Sion.
More like this story
- Basketball roundup: SJA, MCA girls win in tournament action; MV girls, boys fall
- Girls basketball roundup: MV, SMNW, DHS win by double digits
- Basketball roundup: Maranatha girls, St. James boys earn victories
- St. James girls basketball looks for consistency, falls to BVSW
- Basketball roundup: Mill Valley, St. James girls win sub-state titles; State tournament brackets revealed