See current severe weather alerts.
Get commuter and severe weather updates via e-mail or SMS text message
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Emergency planner stresses importance of being prepared
- June 5, 2013
- Terrence Kegin recently returned from tornado-damaged Oklahoma, where he worked as part of Civil Air Patrol emergency services.
- No school for students today, trash pickup suspended; heavy snowfall anticipated
- February 21, 2013
- The predicted snowstorm has arrived and area students will stay home from school today
- Emergency preparedness consultant plans ‘chat and chew’
- 08:42 p.m., April 16, 2012 Updated 12:00 a.m.
- Shawnee resident Marty Augustine is planning a chat and chew event to discuss severe weather safety and disaster preparedness and to sign copies of his preparedness book, “At Ground Zero.”
- Keeping an eye, logbook on Mother Nature
- April 11, 2012
- For nearly 40 years, Gil Hoag has been tracking area weather on handwritten charts in 12 file folders — one for every month.
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect until midnight for area counties
- March 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm watch that’s in effect until midnight for Johnson, Wyandotte, Leavenworth, Jefferson and Douglas counties.
- Tornado watch issued for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties
- February 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties. It is in effect until 1 a.m. Wednesday.
- Beal: Signs along highways offer some diversion on long road trips
- January 4, 2012
- Creating road signs is, I guess, something of a specialized art, at least when it comes to getting all the information needed into just a few words on a diamond-shaped warning sign. This leads to some curious syntax, to wit…
- Beal: Kansas’ fickle weather
- November 22, 2011
- Kansas weather is nothing if not fickle. I’m sure that’s no great revelation to anyone who’s been here more than, say, a week or two, but it bears repeating.
- Nationwide emergency alert test planned for Nov. 9
- November 2, 2011
- When radio and television stations pause and emit emergency tones at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9, don’t worry. It’s only a test.
- Beal: Stubborn gardener holding out hope late tomatoes will ripen
- November 2, 2011
- I have so far resisted all entreaties to pick the last fruits green, so we can fix fried green tomatoes or some such delicacy. I stubbornly hope that, if we can somehow just hold the inexorable change of the seasons at bay for a little longer, we may yet harvest a few more tomatoes for salads and sandwiches, or to savor by themselves.